Since our team was unable to meet last time, we are combining math and reading today. Kathy shared a kindergarten writing rubric that she uses. It incorporates a hand shape and has the following: 1. start with a capital, 2. leave spaces, 3. spell star words (sight words), 4. stretch out your words, 5. end with a period. Second grade uses the hand for retelling. Who, Where/ when, What problem is, events, solution, ending. If no problem/solution then tell more events. Nancy also shared about her DIBELS. She has Addie Kickbush working on fluency with some of her slow readers. Her DIBELS results showed progress after working Addie worked with them. She noticed that they need work on retelling. Jayne got some info off of the DIBELS site for her to use so Addie will work with them on that now also. Summarizing/retelling is something that Nancy and I really noticed was lacking when we conferenced with kids during Daily 5. Kathy also bought a set of books called "Explode the Code " for phonics mastery.
I made a mimio lesson to help the kids count by 5's to 100. We will be using it with a rocket counting song I found on youtube.
ReplyDeleteWith the Daily 5 and the designated WRITING time, I am struggling with getting my grammar lessons in. I have started incorporating them into a mini-lesson during Daily 5.
ReplyDeleteIn math, I am meeting with individuals or small groups to teach my lessons at their levels ($ unit right now). I try to do rotations to meet with each everyday, Xtra math, IXL practice for the unit, and choice practice. During the IXL time I often am able to use as individual teaching time.
I introduced "Writers Eye's" to my students several weeks ago and they love it. The kids wear old 3D movie glasses with the lenses popped out during writing time. When they have on their glasses they have to use their "writer's eyes" and look for punctuation, spaces, capital letters, etc. We have a poster up in the room that says this also. For math each day I teach new content first as a whole group. Next, we do a small group activity which consists of hands on work with manipulatives or writing. To end each Math lesson we practice the skill on IXL. This way I can monitor who understands the concept and who needs more help.
DeleteI'm adding this as reply for a reminder. Kathy and I would like to visit about Guided Reading leveling comprehension questions.
Delete